Thursday 9 September 2010

Melting park


The diversity of New York is amazing. As I write this, I'm sitting on a park bench in Central Park. On my left are two elderly ladies, conversing alternatingly in a Latin-sounding language, and in English with a latin-sounding accent. I can't hear enough and I don't know enough to place them. But an educated guess would be Eastern European. On my right is a couple: school kids making out. I say 'school kids' based on my knowledge of the American education system derived from TV. Meaning they aren't school age-school age, but more like junior college kids back in India age. They guy is whte, the girl black. Plus the tourists walking by are talking in a large number of different unknown tongues.

The best part is, the fact that I'm contributing a ton of diversity to this park bench myself by sitting in between these two pairs gives me a kick, sorta.

No comments:

Post a Comment